Corscombe, Halstock and District Parish Council

 Minutes for the Parish Council meeting 7.30pm on

Monday 29th November 2021

Meeting was held at Halstock Village Hall.  The Council respectfully asked for face masks to be worn until seated and social distancing to be observed.

Councillors present: Liz Southern (ES), David Hallett (DH), Roger Hallett (RH), Grant Prior (GP), Henry Lovegrove (HL), Nigel Clarke (NC), Debbie Rix (DR), Deborah Childs (DCh)

Public period for comments on issues on the agenda – 9 members of the public

Freda Hennessy  requested that the revised 2021/2022 budget clearly shows that under devolved services the Common Lane funds are clearly marked as such.

Reports from Dorset Council Councillor and police

Mary Penfold – planning has now caught up with the backlog of planning application validations but is still very busy.  Two DC social workers have been put forward for an award.

If you would like to contact Mary Penfold please use the email  cllrmary.penfold@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk

GP – communication has been re-established with the police liaison (PCSO Alex Bishop) department and regular meetings are taking place.  There is nothing to report at this time.

Presentation from Richard Brown from the Dorset National Park team. 

Thank you to Richard Brown for a very informative presentation on the benefits of the proposed Dorset National Park.

1. To receive and accept apologies and declarations of interest.

Mary Penfold and David Clary

2. To approve the draft minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 27th September (A).

Approved (8/8)

3. To discuss matters arising from the minutes not covered in this Agenda.

None

4. To approve the co-option of Halstock Councillor Richard James (B)

Approved (8/8)

5. Appoint a third staffing group member. (C) HL

Once Mr James is formally co-opted it was agreed (8/8) that we would ask him to become our vice-chairman and as such will be the third member of the Staff working Group.

6. To note the statement of expenditure to date and bank reconciliation (D) and to approve the schedule of payments since the last meeting. (E).

Bank reconciliation noted (8/8) and schedule of payments approved (8/8)

7. To review and authorise draft Precept submission and 2022/2023 budget (F)

Draft precept and 2022/2023 budget approved (8/8) with the following amendments to earmarked funds:

Decrease Playground Fund from £3,000 to £2,000

Increase Devolved Services Fund from zero to £1,000.

8. To note/receive a maintenance update for the playground and outdoor gym (verbal) RH/TS

Two issues were noted with the playground maintenance that have been addressed.  No issues noted with the outdoor gym although bird excrement was noted as an issue, over hanging branch to be removed .

9. To ratify approval for £500 to plant hedging along the western edge of the  playground (playground maintenance)

Approved (8/8).  Noted that the chairman would be looking for volunteers to assist with hedge planting over the winter.

10. Highways and Rights of Way

Halstock speed gates – to receive an update Verbal) TH

Speed gates are now in place. A refund of £252.76 from DC was noted and will be put towards planters under speed gates.  Clerk to liaise with Tony Hill and purchase suitable containers.

To receive an update on Modification orders T634, T635, T637 (Verbal) Rights of Way group

Differed

Highways update Adams Green (Verbal) TS

Highways are unwilling to progress the issue of the use of Adams Green by unsuitable vehicles further.  See comment last minutes.  Regarding the request for horse crossing signs, Highways have no record of a request for signage and extra signage is currently being refused due to Budget shortages, this will be viewed again in April’22.  It was unclear if signage was being put up independently by Frys racing.

To note Spatial planning letter (G)

Noted

To receive an update on replacement of stiles to gates TS/DS.

Stiles have been ordered.  PC awaiting invoice to pay.  Thank you to Halstock Village Trust for their generous donation to the new stiles. Stiles are unlikely to be in place this year as agreement to place stiles is still being sought from landowners.

To note Dorset EV charge point installation feedback welcome regarding phase 2 (H) TS

Noted, no possible electric charging points were identified within the parish, that could be put forward for phase 2 consultation.

To discuss response to Hill Farm Beaminster Bridleway W26-47 pre-application consultation (I) Review by PC public Rights of Way group.

After a site visit by the Rights of Way group it was agreed that the concerns  raised by the ROW group were valid and the PC objected to this change in its in current form. (8/8)  Clerk to notify Mr Roskell of our decision.

To note and comment on the Rights of Way Improvement plan (J)

Noted.  The PC Rights of Way Group have already forwarded comments during the consultation phase.

11. To consider and note planning applications and decisions. (K) TS

Listed buildings response from conservation officer. (L) TS

Letter received from DC conservation officer responding to the letter sent by the PC.  They accepted that energy efficiency  issues etc. were of concern but that the most common permitted ‘harm’ is that there must be public benefits which are sufficiently substantial to outweigh the harm cause.  There has been a slight shift in their position in that they have allowed double glassing on windows in a part of a property not listed.

Unauthorised buildings (M) TS

Clerk sent a letter to planning concerning unauthorised buildings identified at the last meeting. Planning have responded asking the PC to complete forms and provide further details/Images.  Clerk to look at what information is required before asking for further information.  It was also pointed out that residents can also make such requests in a private capacity, and this would help to add weight to PC concerns raised  on behalf of our parishioners.

DAPTC letter to Dorset Council regarding local plans, Neighbourhood plans and changes to planning notification (N) TS

Noted and supported (8/8)

 

12. To receive a training update TS

Clerk to undertake VAT training in December 2021 and to sign up for CiLCA training to start in 2022.

 13. Update on Register of interest (RoI) progress TS

RoIs have been completed and registered with DC.  Councillors have been asked to forward these to the Clerk.

14. Correspondence to be discussed and noted. TS

DC Parking review update (verbal) ES

Noted

Non- cash parking charges (O) TS

Letter sent to DC by the Clerk, no indication from DC as to the reason for suspension of cash payments but the situation now seems to have been resolved.

Katharine’s walk (verbal) DR

It was agreed that the PC would fund a bench to be placed on Common Lane at the Ocean Hill T junction.  The Clerk was asked to source a suitable three-seater bench with arms, made from recycled plastic.  A plaque would also be placed on the bench.  Provisional cost up to £600 was approved (8/8)   The Staff working group will finalises the choice of bench.

To note receipt of funds from Common Lane Project Account, currently with HSBC to the Parish Council, to be held as a ring-fenced account. TS

Noted

TSB update address change and new signatories

Continuing issues regarding poor communication with TSB are of a concern and an alternative banking option is being sought

To agree an internet banking policy and application to Triodos bank for a new account (P ) HL

The report recommendations  were approved (8/8) it was agreed the staff working group would set up an internet bank account to replace TSB.

HELO – report from Jez Hodesdon regarding the Dorset Council heritage list campaign (Q) JH

An informative presentation, listing potential sites within the parish boundaries was presented.  It was agreed these would be put forward to DC for potential inclusion as part of the Local Heritage List Campaign

DAPTC AGM update TS

Noted

Cost of binding minutes 2015 to 2020 to be presented and approved. TS

The previous binder Francis Brown has been approached and he is willing to bind the 2015 to 2019 PC minutes.  Approximate cost £80-£100.  Approved (8/8)

Clerk to arrange binding and archiving of minutes with DC.

To ascertain members’ interest in approaching a landowner with a view to establishing an allotment site in Corscombe. (verbal) DCh

Agreed: The level of interest for allotments would be sought and landowners identified in Halstock and Corscombe approached.

15. Climate and ecology emergency action to be noted (Verbal)

Progress on setting up tree plant project, publishing Dorset Green living initiative and other initiatives. (verbal) DCh

Good progress has been made regarding the tree planting initiative, with over £200 trees ordered.  Delivery of trees is likely to be in the new year now. Henry Lovegrove is to provide tree guards free of charge. The PC will make a grant to the Beaminster Eco group to cover the cost of the trees.  Agreed (8/8)

Both the Corscombe and Halstock village websites have  Green Living buttons that will take you to green initiatives and minutes from the Dorset Green Living group.

16. To consider urgent matters to report from members and items for the next meeting.

Holding of PC meetings in CorscombeIt was agreed that the next meeting  will be moved to a Tuesday to allow the PC meeting to be held in Corscombe.

17. Date of next Council meeting 25th January 2022

Clerk to the Council: Tessa Safadi, Tel: 01935 891068

Email: CHparishclerk@gmail.com

chdpc.org.uk

Appendix